UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Oh. - The La Roche women's basketball team was defeated this afternoon decisively by the John Carroll Blue Streaks, 84-47. The hosts, JCU, shot lights out at their home venue making 32-54 FG (59%) and 5-7 3-PT (71%). LRU's 47 points are the fewest they've scored in a game since Nov, 2017.
Final: La Roche: 47, John Carroll: 84
Records: La Roche (0-3), John Carroll (2-0)
How it Happened
- JCU went on a 17-4 run to start the first quarter before Junior guard Sidney Farmer (Beaver Falls, PA/Beaver Falls) knocked down a 3-PT to stop the Blue Streaks run
- John Carroll closed out the first ahead 22-10
- Junior guard Nia Thomas (Brackenridge, PA/Highlands) scored the first basket of the second quarter on a layup before the Blue Streaks went a 7-0 run
- LRU headed into the half training 40-21
- Junior guard Ayanna Mazyck (Philadelphia, PA/Harford CC) scored back-to-back layups to open the third quarter
- After a 4-0 LRU start to the the third, the Blue streaks went on a 21-2 run, knocking down three 3-PT in that span
Inside the Box Score
- Mazyck led La Roche in points (12), rebounds (7), and steals (3); she was the only Redhawk to score in double-digit figures
- LRU committed nine more personal fouls than JCU (25-16)
- The Redhawks only knocked down 3-13 free-throws (23%); JCU was 15-25 (60%) from the line
- La Roche knocked down 6-23 3-PT (26%); this season, the women's team is averaging 23, 3-PT attempts per contest (2nd in AMCC)
- LRU turned the ball over seven more times than John Carroll (21-14); JCU scored 26 points off those turnovers
- JCU scored 50 of their 87 points in the paint tonight
- The Redhawks attempted 12 more shots from the field but knocked down 11 less shots than the Blue Streaks
The Redhawks have started out 0-3 for the second straight season. Last year, they bounced back by winning three of their next four games.
NEXT UP: La Roche will play their season opener at the Kerr Sport & Fitness Center on Tuesday, November 26th against conference opponent Penn St. Altoona beginning at 8:00 p.m.